1. When do you sail? Sundays; Mid-March – Boxing day (12 & 2.30pm (bring a packed lunch, tea and cake/bar provided from 4pm). Thursdays; Mid-May through the summer, from 6pm (everyone brings a picnic contribution to share after).
2. Can I learn to sail at HSC? Yes, we provide informal coaching sessions at the club, if you would like to take part in those please contact Kevin below. For more formal RYA (Royal Yachting Association) training we plan to start these next season, or we can put you in touch with local sailing schools for more immediate training.
3. Do I need to own a boat? No. We have club boats available for those who are competent sailors (ask Kevin below about these) or you can let us know if you’d like to crew someone else in a boat (ask Kevin about crewing availability).
4. How much is a dinghy? Boats are often bought second hand, fully rigged with a trailer for under £500 on eBay. Most start with pre-loved boats, to learn ‘the ropes’. Insurance costs less than £50 a year, the Environment Agency permit is around £35.
5. What level sailor do you have to be to join? We have all levels in the club from total beginners, to champions and everything in between. If you wish to race competitively you can do so, but if you just want to potter around the river, you’re also welcome to do that.
6. Why sail at Hampton? Our wide open reach on the river has excellent clean prevailing wind from the SW over Hurst Park and the reciprocal clean E wind up the river. Easy launching and multiple access, so no bottlenecks or fishing out between races. We are a family focused friendly club for all ages and levels, with many social events all year round (see activities sheet) and sailing from March to Boxing Day.
7. I want to sail but my partner doesn’t want to/not sure, how can they be involved? Many members have partners who don’t sail, instead they often enjoy doing other things at the club like; timekeeping, helping with tea and cakes, running the bar, helping the duty officer with flags, or simply enjoying a relaxing afternoon by the river or taking part in social events like the quiz, etc.
8. How much is it to join for 2019 season? 6-week Introductory membership; £50 per adult, (kids free with a responsible adult). This is a chance for you to come down and get to know us, take part in activities of your choice, before being proposed as a full member (the £35 is refunded against your full membership). Full (22+) £110, Intermediate (18-21) £44, Junior (8-17) £27.50, Family (2 Full & 4 Jnr) £250. Berthing; £100 adult, £50 Junior. Why so cheap? We have no staff, we are a non-profit club and the club is run by members on a rota basis (you can choose your role and swap dates).
9. How old should my children be to sail? It’s up to you and them, some start sooner than others. Life jackets should be worn by children whilst in any boat or, if they can’t swim or are under 8, whilst on the island. Please note that children must always have a responsible adult present.
10. Who should I contact for more info: Kevin: 07798641641/ email@example.com