Founded on February 20th 1944 by a group of 28 local enthusiasts, racing has been fundamental to the health and well-being of the club. The family environment has been the cornerstone of the club’s growth and solidarity. This, and the fact that club members provide the vision, professional and artisan skills necessary, make it one of the most successful and active clubs in the area. This has been evident right from the start with competitors ranging in age from eight to eighty. Some notable dates in the Club’s History:-
The acquisition in 1945 of the lease of Benn’s Island from the Thames Conservancy with the right to moor a headquarters boat of 80 foot in length was paramount to the club’s future. The clause enabled the club to purchase and use the steamer “King Edward” as its headquarters.
During 1962 the clubhouse was built on the piles at Benn’s Island. In 1973 the building was altered when the bar and tea counter was moved from the west end of the club to the north side.
Improvements to the clubhouse have been on-going. One of the greatest benefits was the installation, in 1981, of the sewage-system. This was carried out by members over a four day period. In 2003 a strip of land was purchased opposite St. Mary’s Church, Hampton which provides winter berths for the club.
The latest extension saw the repositioning of the changing rooms from the eastern to the western end of the clubhouse and fitting of picture windows.
During its existence, Hampton Sailing Club has produced top flight sailors in the Cadet, Merlin Rocket, 505, Scorpion, International 14, Flying Dutchman and Thames A Rater classes.
Over the years members have joined from all around London and the South East, from Battersea to Buckinghamshire. Many live in Surrey; Kingston, Richmond, Thames Ditton, Molesey, Sunbury, Espom, Cheam and Middlesex; Teddington, Hampton HIll, Twickenham, Hanworth and many more towns from all around.